Kootenai Elementary History
The Old Kootenai school was built in 1910. It was a three story brick building with a cast iron bell that housed grades one through eight. In its later days the snow used to sift through the windows and cracks in the walls in the winter. There was real concern about the safety of the old building, and it was finally condemned and razed in 1987. Kootenai teachers were relocated and students were bussed into Sandpoint, Idaho. In 1997, the new school opened its doors to grades one through four.
Construction began again in 2008 to add two additional wings with 11 new classrooms, a new gym, a library and a tech lab. In 2010, the current Kootenai Elementary School welcomed grades K to 6th with two classes each, plus preschool.